Thursday, August 9, 2012

Game Table

I don't really have a lot of hobbies.  In my past I have dabbled in some things... at one point in time I liked to cross stitch.  Before I had kids, I used to read books. 

One thing I've always enjoyed doing is jigsaw puzzles.  I freakin' love jigsaw puzzles.  Lucky for me, Mr. Molly's sister and her husband also love jigsaw puzzles.  As such, ever since I was welcomed into their family 6 years ago we have always had the opportunity to do jigsaw puzzles together over holidays, visits, or vacations. 

Molly's mom knows how much I love them, and so she set up a table in her house so that when we visit there I can work on puzzles.  The table is in the bonus room so that the kids can be playing, the guys can be watching TV, Molly's mom can be on her computer at her desk, and I can be doing my puzzles.  I like to be where the action is.

At Mr. Molly's parents house we are always trying to find the best place to do a puzzle.  Before we had kids, we did puzzles in the garden room.  There was a glass top table and we could spread out there and the mess would be out of the way of any visitors and meals.  Once the kids arrived it was harder to keep the pieces "safe."  Then one day I leaned on the table the wrong way, one side tipped up into the air and came crashing down shattering glass and puzzle pieces all over the garden room.  So that was the end of that. 

We tried doing puzzles on the dining room table but that never worked because it interfered with family visits and meals.  The last time I was there we were relegated to a card table in the family room.  It was ok though b/c that's where most of the action was located and I like to be where the action is.

I have never had an apartment or house big enough to have an entire area devoted to jigsaw puzzles.  Probably few people do.  But now I do!  There is a big huge spot in my basement just ripe for a game table.  At first, I thought of getting a specific puzzle table.  They look like this:


They have pull out drawers to sort the pieces and sometimes a lazy susan type top that rotates to different people can work on different parts.  Most specific puzzle tables are folding and/or portable because (as stated before) most people don't have space in their homes for all puzzles all the time.

But I do!  So it doesn't really make sense to put a portable table there.  Instead it makes more sense to have a more all-purpose game table.  Something round that lots of people can sit at and play games.  Card games, board games, and of course jigsaw puzzles.  It could be a friendly alcoholic game night, or a family game night with the kids.  So versatile, so very awesome. 

Now I just need to find this dream game table and not spend $2,000.

The possibilities are endless:





No comments:

Post a Comment